Thursday, February 21, 2013

Mission Scripture

For some reason I had an incredibly difficult time figuring out what scripture I should use on my plaque. I wanted a scripture that would express how I felt towards my Heavenly Father and towards my mission. For a while I was thinking of using Alma 29:9 which reads:

I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy.

I really liked this scripture because I want more than any thing to be an instrument in the hands of God in bringing others to HIm. It is not only the goal of my mission but the goal of my life. Yet I noticed some thing. It seemed like everyone and their dog was using this scripture. I didn't want to use a scripture that every one else was using. I've always had this rather strange characteristic of wanting to be different from those around me. I never liked following the crowd and I think that was some thing that helped me stand up for my beliefs when the time called for it in high school

So I decided to think about another scripture that would I felt the same way about. Then it hit me. I thought of Isaiah 41:10. This scripture had touched me when I needed comfort and reminded me that God was in charge no matter how dark the night I had been called to pass through appeared. It made me understand that even when I had no one I had Him and I feel, even now, that it is a wonderful motto to carry in my heart in regards to the 18 months I will spend in 24/7 service to Him. It reads:

Fear thou not, for I am with. Be not dismayed for I am thy God. I will strengthen thee. Yea I will help thee. Yea I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

I think as a missionary we definitely need to remember that God will uphold us. I am so grateful for this opportunity to serve and to feed His sheep in Panama. My God bless you my dear readers until you read again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment