Sunday, March 31, 2013

A General Conference Challenge

It has been a wonderful Easter Sunday full of deep reflection and a grateful heart for all that my Savior has done for me. I love the Easter season. Not just for all the festivities and the approach of spring (which I could argue is my favorite season) but  because it causes me to reflect quiet deepy on my relationship with my Savior. This year seems particularly meaningful as prepare to leave for my mission in two days. I get set apart tomorrow and from that moment on I am a 24/7 representative of Jesus Christ. I am to follow the promptings of the Spirit in acting and saying the things that He would say to the best of my mortal understanding and fallen ability allow. I am so grateful for the opportunity that I have. I am looking forward to feeling the Spirit all the time. To being in an environment where I mature spiritually and walk with God more closely.

This season is also my favorite because it means the approach of General Conference. What a wonderful blessing it is to be able to hear men, called of God, speak to us concerning the matters of heaven. No matter where were are in the world we can stream it via TV, internet, or satellite radio. If we speak another language we can hear it in any language from Mandarin Chinese to American Sign Language. Perhaps one day I will have the opportunity to translate some of it in one of the many languages I hope to learn and become verse in during my time on the earth.

If you are LDS, or are not and have friends that are I'm sure you know that last Conference (in October) the Prophet, President Thomas S. Monson lowered the age at which missionaries could serve for brethren and sisters. It has changed so many lives, including mine. What is exciting about this session is that we will hear the total number of missionaries serving. Recent statistics claim that it is up around 64,000 (closer to 65,000 I think) which is significantly higher than the 50,000 that were serving at the beginning of 2013.

With all this discussion of Conference I want to share a challenge with you that a dear friend gave to me almost two years ago. It has changed the way I approach conference. It has helped me to get more out of Conference than ever before. The challenge is this. In the week leading up to Conference prayerfully think of five questions that you would ask the Savior if you could speak with Him face to face. I can testify to you from personal experience that your questions will be answered. For example, for October's Conference I asked what I could do to follow the admonition in the scriptures to  "pick up your cross" and follow after my Savior. The whole Relief Society broadcast basically focused on this question and more than that it led me to change my life. I let go of some things that I now see were holding me back from following after my Savior.

I invite everyone to do this. You don't have to share your questions so you can make them as personal and as deep as you want to make them. If all five of them are answered in the first session than write down more questions that you want answered. I can promise that in some way during Conference weekend God will answer them.

Well my time is short my dear readers. Today has been a day full of goodbyes and good lucks. My Bishop even told me that I can't run the mission even if I might want to which kind of embarrassed  I definitely don't know enough to run much of any thing, let alone an entire mission. I know that as I am prayerful and obedient with exactness God will laden my back with sheaves of success and joy from the work that, with His help I will do. I love my Heavenly Father and my Savior so much. I am so grateful for all that they have done for me. I know that I have been preparing for a very long time for the next 18 months and my efforts will be blessed weather I get 1 or 1,000 baptisms. May God bless you my dear readers, until you read again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment