Sunday, March 17, 2013

I Love To See The Temple. I Went Inside Today.

Okay technically I went inside yesterday and was too tired to post about then but the title flows better using the word today. Anyway, I went through the Jordan River temple yesterday and it was just so beautiful. Everyone asked me if it was what I expected but honestly I didn't go in with any expectations. I went in knowing a lot about what was practiced in the temples in ancient Israel and I found that surprisingly similar. I would recommend in depthly studying the books of Genesis, Exodus, and Leviticus in the Old Testament and Abraham and Moses in the Pearl of Great Price. Also if you get your hands on some stuff about temple worship by Dr. Stephen Ricks I would strongly recommend that.

The day was overall just wonderful. We got up and went to lunch and I was more excited than scared or nervous. I knew that I was going through the House of the Lord and that I would have help both from God and the people around me as I went through the experience. The only set back was that I had no voice. Somehow in the last 24 hours my cold had gone from a cold to laryngitis but that was not about to deter and aside from an obnoxious cough I felt fine

We went to lunch at a buffet but I didn't eat very much because I was so excited. Then we went over to Temple Square to get my mom a temple dress because she didn't like her old one. We decided to cut through the temple grounds because it was such a beautiful day and we got a few pictures in front of the temple.

We then went and got my mom's temple dress and headed back tot he car with about 20 minutes to spare until I had to be at the Jordan River temple for my session. There must needs be opposition in all things though and when we used the phone to navigate it took us on a very strange route back to the freeway which ultimately made us 15 minutes late. I was doing my best trying not to stress because I knew that Satan would use that against me. I also knew that the moment I entered the temple I would feel the peace that i needed to feel.

I had called the temple to let them know we were running late but even then getting there 15 minutes late was not ideal in my book. We got in there and they took us back behind the front desk. Talk about a right of passage. I had spent years watching people go past the workers at the desk aching for the day that I would do the same and now today was my day!

The sum it up the session was beautiful. It was nothing weird or scary as some people suggested it might be. What was great is that there were nine missionaries going through and six of them were sisters! It was wonderful and uplifting. I had a coughing fit half way through the endowment session and I felt so embarrassed. I survived it though and was able to pay attention. There were things that I thought were incredibly neat and things that I definitely want to study on my own in my personal scripture study. Honestly it felt like I was returning to visit a friend I had been a way from for a long time. More than that, stepping into the Celestial room felt like I was coming home.

I feel like my journey towards my mission has been a transforming experience. I am not the person I once was and the covenants I made in the temple symbolize that. I am ready to go out and preach the Gospel to the people of Panama and bring them to knowledge of their Redeemer Jesus Christ. I am grateful for all my family and friends that have supported me up to this point and with just two and a half weeks left until I leave I know I have a lot to do but I am definitely excited for this new chapter in my life and all the blessings and experiences it will bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment